Law Office of Ana C. Zigel

Since 1986, the Law Office of Ana Claudia Zigel has provided clients with outstanding immigration and visa services; voted Baltimores Best Immigration Lawyer Ana is a member of AILA and the MSBA.

Call Now (410) 602-2155

Family Based Visas

Obtaining a “green card” - indicating lawful permanent residency in the U.S.- is the primary goal of our clients who are planning to enter the U.S. using a family based visa. Having lawful permanent residency enables you to live and work in the U.S indefinitely. But because obtaining permanent residency has become more complicated since September 11, 2001, applicants regularly need help navigating the process.

There are visas available to many people with familial ties to the United States, including:

  • Parent, child or spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • Adult child, married or unmarried, of a U.S. citizen
  • Spouse or unmarried child of a lawful permanent resident
  • Brother or sister of a U.S. citizen
  • Foreign national being adopted by a U.S. citizen
  • Fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen

Marriage Cases

Marriage to a United States citizen does not automatically give a foreign national the right to remain in the United States. The CIS expects couples filing petitions for adjustment of status based on marriage to prove the bona fides of the union and that the marriage is not for the purpose of gaining immigration benefits. Most marriage cases are approved on a conditional basis. After two years, the couple must apply for the removal of the conditions to permanent residence (form I-751). At this time, the couple must again present evidence that the marriage is valid. The Law Office of Ana C. Zigel has helped hundreds of couples through this stressful application and interview process. Please schedule a consultation with the Law Office of Ana C. Zigel if you are interested in assistance in family based immigration law.

Waivers for Fraud and Other Criminal Convictions

Criminal convictions can jeopardize a person’s lawful immigration status. Often, foreign nationals do not even realize the consequences of an earlier criminal conviction until they apply for a change in immigration status. While foreign nationals cannot waive the commission of an aggravated felony, relief may be available in some circumstances for foreign nationals convicted of some drug related offenses, some fraud offenses, and other offenses. If you are a foreign national who has been convicted of a crime, it is very important that you consult an experienced immigration attorney before applying for immigration benefits. Please bring copies of your court disposition with you to your meeting with Ana C. Zigel, Esq.